Professor in Statistics
- B.Sc. (Colombo)
- P.G.Dip in Applied Statistics (Colombo)
- M.Sc. Biometry (UK)
- Ph.D. Statistics (UK)
Research Project Coordinator: (Statistics Special, Statistics with Computer Science Special, Industrial Statistics Special)
Advisor: Categorical Data Analysis, Advanced Modelling, Medical Statistics
Research and Professional Experience
Honors and Awards
- The Mr. and Mrs. V.W. Samaranayake memorial prize for the best Statistics student at the B.Sc. degree, 1985.
- rofessor Mohan Munasinghe award for the best Computer project at the B.Sc. degree, 1985.
- Technical Cooperation Training Award sponsored by the Overseas Development Administration, U.K. 1988 for study towards an M.Sc.
- University of Newcastle Postgraduate Research Scholarship, 1991
Note: I was awarded this scholarship but I did not accept it as I accepted an Open Commonwealth Scholarship for my Ph.D. at the University of Reading, U.K.
- Award of a fellowship by COPEDEC for participation at COPEDEC III, in Mombasa, Kenya, 1991
- Open (in open competition) Commonwealth postgraduate scholarship 1991, for study towards a Ph.D
- Wellcome Trust U.K. award for Post-doctoral research, 2001.
- Presidential Award for international research, 1999
- University of Colombo award for excellence in research, 1999
- Senior Research Fellow at the University of Reading, U.K. on the research project “Comparison of adaptive and group-sequential methods for Clinical Trials” funded by Swiss phamaceutical company, Novartis Pharma, 2002
- Presidents Research Award, 2001
- Visiting Research Fellow, MPS Research Unit, University of Reading,U.K. Position held from 1st October 2003 to 2007. This is awarded in recognition of contribution to research at MPS research unit.
- University of Colombo award of felicitation for receiving a Presidential Award for Research in year 2001
- International Society for Clinical Biostatistics Conference Scientist award for ISCB27, 2006.
- NSF Travel award, 2006
- Team member of the paper that won the International Society for Clinical Biostatistics Conference Scientist award for ISCB28, 2007.
- International Society for Clinical Biostatistics Conference Scientist award for ISCB29, 2008.
- NSF Travel award, 2008
- Commonwealth Fellowship of 6 months duration to UK , 2009/10
- Presidential Award for Scientific Research for 2003.
- Presidential Award for Scientific Research for 2006.
Publications in Peer Reviewed Journals
- Sooriyarachchi, M.R., Whitehead, J. A method for sequential analysis of survival data with non-proportional hazards. Biometrics 54, 1072-1084, 1998
- Bolland, K.M., Sooriyarachchi, M.R. and Whitehead, J.
Sample size review in a head injury trial with ordered categorical responses
Statistics in Medicine 17, 2835-2847, 1998.
- Whitehead, J. Whitehead, A., Todd, S., Bolland, K.M., and Sooriyarachchi, M.R. Mid-trial design reviews for sequential clinical trials, Statistics in Medicine 20, 165-176, 2001
- Sooriyarachchi, M.R., Whitehead, J. Bolland, K., Whitehead, A., Matsushita, T. Incorporating data received after a sequential trial has stopped into the final analysis : implementation and comparison of methods, Biometrics 59, 701-709, 2003
- Kelly, P. Sooriyarachchi, M.R., Stallard, N. and Todd, S.
A practical comparison of group-sequential and adaptive designs
Journal of Biopharmaceutical Statistics 15: 719 – 738, 2005.
- Sooriyarachchi, M.R., Whitehead, J., Whitehead, A., Bolland, K.
The sequential analysis of binary responses: a score test for the case of three time points
Statistics in Medicine 25, 2196-2214, 2005.
- Mohamad, F., Sooriyarachchi, M.R., Senarathna, L., Azhar, S. Sheriff, M.H.R., Buckley, N.A. and Eddleston, M. ‘Compliance for single and multiple dose regimes of superactivated charcoal: a prospective study of patients in a clinical trial.Clinical Toxicology :45, 1-4, 2007.
- Kuruppumullage, P. , Sooriyarachchi, M.R.‘Log linear models for ordinal multidimensional categorical data’ The jounal of the National Science Foundation of Sri Lanka 35(1): 29-40, 2007.
- Whitehead, A., Sooriyarachchi, M.R., Whitehead, J. ,Bolland, K. Incorporating intermediate binary responses into interim analyses of clinical trials: a comparison of four methods. Statistics in Medicine 27 : 1646 – 1666, 2008
- Abeysekera W.W.M., Sooriyarachchi M.R. 'A novel method for testing goodness of fit of a proportional odds model: An application to an AIDS study' The journal of the National Science Foundation of Sri Lanka. 36(2) : 125-135, 2008
- Dharmarathne, T.M.R.T. and Sooriyarachchi, M.R.‘Failure time regression to determine warranty policies of computers’ Sri Lankan Journal of Applied Statistics, Vol. 8 (Special Issue), 19-33, 2007.
- Kuruppumullage, P. , Sooriyarachchi, M.R. ‘Design and analysis techniques for many-to-many matched case-control studies: An illustration using the Ille-et-Vilaine database for esophageal cancer’ Sri Lankan Journal of Applied Statistics, Vol. 8 (Special Issue), 55-70, 2007
- Yatapana, P. S. Sooriyarachchi, M.R. ‘University selection among students of different streams : A comparison of methods’. The Sri Lankan Journal of Educational Research Volume 10, Issue 1, pages 1-22, 2006.
- Abeysekera, W.W.M, Sooriyarachchi, M.R. ‘Use of Schoenfeld’s global test to test the proportional hazards assumption in the Cox proportional hazards model: An application to a clinical study’ accepted for publication by The Journal of the National Science Foundation of Sri Lanka. .Volume 37, Issue 1, pages 41-51.
- Perera, H.L.C. and Sooriyarachchi, M.R. ‘Fitting correlation adjusted generalized linear models to clustered dengue data measured over time’ Sri Lankan Journal of Applied Statistics, Vol. 9 (Special Issue), 159-175, 2008
- N.K.P.S. Jayawardana and M.R. Sooriyarachchi ‘Prognostic models with competing risks : Methods and Application to Prostate Cancer data’ Sri Lankan Journal of Applied Statistics (2009). Volume 10 pages 43-64
- K. Nadarajah and M.R. Sooriyarachchi ‘A monte-carlo Simulation study of the properties of Residual Maximum Likelihood (REML) estimators for the linear Gaussian mixed model’ Sri Lankan Journal of Applied Statistics (2009). Volume 10 pages 119-136
- A.A. Sunethra and M.R. Sooriyarachchi ‘Variance-Corrected proportional Harzards models for the analysis of multiple failures in personal computers’ Quality and Reliability Engineering International 27 : 85-97, 2011
- S.D. Viswakula and M.R. Sooriyarachchi ‘Diagnostics for matched case control studies : SAS macro for Proc Logistic’ Journal of National Science Foundation of Sri Lanka 39(1) : 13-23, 2011.
- Siyasinghe, N., Sooriyarachchi, M.R. ‘Guidelines for calculating sample size in 2x2 Crossover Trials : A simulation study’. Journal of National Science Foundation of Sri Lanka 39(1) : 77-89, 2011
- Sooriyarachchi, M.R., Jayatillake, R.V., Ranganath, H., Eddleston , M. ‘The use of mid-trial reviews for design modifications in small scale Clinical Trials’. Contemporary Clinical Trials, 31(6) : 579-586, 2010.
- Jayatillake, R.V., Sooriyarachchi, M.R. , Senarathna, D.L.P. Adjusting for a cluster effect in the Logistic Regression Model : An illustration of theory and its application. Accepted by the Journal of the National Science Association of Sri Lanka
- Sooriyarachchi M.R. and Lea N. 'Estimating probable rainfall for irrigation scheduling in the tropics' Technical Report OD/TN 49 Hydraulics Research Wallingford, U.K. , August 1990. Results of this report were used in irrigation models in Sri Lanka (Hakwatuna Oya) and Thailand (Kaiesaro).
- Co-author, A Statistics book titled, 'Moolika Sankyanaya (Basic Statistics)' for the General Certificate Examination (Advanced level) and University first year students, 1996.
- Sri Lanka’s contributor to ‘Encyclopedia of Statistical Sciences’ published by Springer-Verlag, 2011 and Edited by Prof. Miodag Lovric.
Citations(searched from Scopus, the Science Citation Index and Google Scholar - International Databases)
Over 90 citations of papers in International Journals
Special Degree Undergraduate Level Projects
Have supervised over 35 research projects in all. In the past 5 years, these projects have resulted in 7 full papers in International journals, 5 full papers in local journals, 2 full papers in proceedings of conferences, 3 abstracts at International conferences and 9 abstracts at National conferences. This has resulted in 3 students winning the SLAAS best project award at a National level and I Myself winning two Conference Scientist awards and a student wining a Conference Scientist award at International level.
- Collaborative Research with Hydraulics Research, Wallingford, U.K., 1989.
- Advisor, South Asian Clinical Toxicology Collaboration, 2006-2007
- Visiting Research Fellow, University of Reading, UK, from 2005-2007 (3 Years)
- Advisor, Link Herbal Products (Pvt.) Ltd. 2010 todate.