Dr. Hasini Rangika Perera
Department of Chemistry,
University of Colombo,
Work Phone: (9411) 2503 367
Work Fax: (9411) 2503 367
- Ph.D. in Analytical Chemistry -Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR May 2009
- Bachelor of Science (Hons.) in Chemistry – University of Colombo, Sri Lanka July 2004
- Senior Lecturer University of Colombo August 2009 – Present
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, Oregon State University, OR. September 2005 – July 2009
- Assistant Lecturer University of Colombo August 2004 – August 2005
Responsibility: Conducting lecturers and laboratory sessions in chemistry for undergraduates. Mentoring research projects of Chemistry majors, MSc students.
Responsibility: Conducting laboratory sessions for chemistry majors (CH 461 & CH 462), and for non-chemistry majors who will use analytical chemistry techniques in routine analysis (CH 324). These include teaching students the basic electronics and optics, AAS, ICP-MS, HPLC, GC-MS, TGA, Ion selective electrode potentiometry, spectrofluorometry. Conducting recitations and laboratory sessions for general chemistry, which involves teaching basic principles in chemistry for college freshmen.
Responsibility: Conducting recitation and laboratory sessions in General Chemistry. Assisted the supervisor in designing experiments, prepared the required test solutions, analyzed and summarized data sets.
LABORATORY AND WORKING EXPERIENCE:
- Graduate Research Assistant Oregon State University, OR July 2006 – July 2009
- Chemical Analyst (Internship), GlaxoSmithKline Ceylon Ltd., Sri Lanka June 2003 – Sep. 2003
- Lab Technician Industrial Technology Institute, Sri Lanka January 2000 – January 2001
Responsibility: Academic research efforts are based on application of non-equilibrium electrochemical methods to ion selective sensors. These sensors are used in obtaining improved, unbiased selectivity for existing ion carriers. Involved in the development of solid contact sensors.
Responsibility: Analyzed intermediates and finished drug products using set methods and various analytical instruments including LC, pH meter, refractive index and optical rotation. Observed the manufacturing process of a drug.
Responsibility: Sampled and analyzed building materials, metals, minerals and mineral based products using methods specified in British Standards/ International Standards. Operated high temperature furnace, UV-Vis spectrometer and AAS.
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS:
- Perera H., Shvarev A. Determination of Unbiased Selectivity Coefficients Using Pulsed Chronopotentiometric Polymeric Membrane Ion Sensors, Chem. 2008, 80, 7870-7875
- Blakemore P.R., Milicevic S.D., Perera H., Shvarev A., Zakharov L.N. Synthesis 2008, 14, 2271-2277
- Perera H., Shvarev A. Unbiased Selectivity Coefficients Obtained for the Pulsed Chronopotentiometric Polymeric Membrane Ion Sensors, Am.Chem.Soc. 2007,129 (51) 15754 – 15755 (Communication)
- Perera H., Fordyce K.M., Shvarev A. Pulsed Galvanostatic Control of Solid-State polymeric Ion-Selective Electrodes, Chem. 2007, 79(12), 4564-4573.
- Perera, K.M., Perera, L.H.R., Development and Characterization of a Potentiometric Ion Selective Electrode for the Determination of Zinc(II) ions,9th International Research Conference, KDU, Sri Lanka, September 8-9, 2016
- Halwatura, S., Perera, H.R., Curcumin Imprinted Polypyrrole Ion Selective Electrodes, Wayamba International Conference 2014 (WinC 2014), Wayamba University, Sri Lanka, 29-30 August, 2014.
- Shamala, J.A.K., Perera, H.R., De Silva,W.R.M., De Silva, K.M., Development of Conductive Textile using Electropolymerization of Pyrrole on Graphite and its Characterization, The International Conference in Chemical Education, College of Chemical Sciences, Institute of Chemistry Ceylon, 2014
- Perera, G. G. P. S., Perera, H.R., Enhance the enthusiasm of students to carry out the practical component of chemistry in advanced level syllabus, The International Conference in Chemical Education, College of Chemical Sciences, Institute of Chemistry Ceylon, 2014
- Nissanka, N.A.A.B., Ruvini, H.H.A.M., Vithanage, T.G., Perera, H.R., Kaumal, M.N., Fabrication and development of novel and simple paper based electrochemical sensors, Annuanl Research Symposium, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka, 21 November, 2014
- Ruvini, H.H.A.M., Vithanage, T.G., Nissanka, N.A.A.B., Perera, H.R., Kaumal, M.N., A novel electrochemical method for the determination of caffeine using phenol formaldehyde polymer modified carbon paste electrode, Annuanl Research Symposium, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka, 21 November, 2014
- Vithanage, T.G., Nissanka, N.A.A.B., Ruvini, H.H.A.M., Perera, H.R., Kaumal, M.N., Development of a novel carbon paste electrode for the simultaneous determination of lead and cadmium in water, Annuanl Research Symposium, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka, 21 November, 2014
- Pradeep E.K.C., Herath H.M.P.C.K., Perera H.R., Li, C.Y., Dissanayake D.P, Comparison of Polyaniline and Polypyrrole based Humidity Sensors, 4th Intermational Symposium on Frontier Technology (ISFT 2013), Shenyang, China, July 26-29, 2013
- Perera H., Shvarev A., Improved Selectivity Coefficients of Galvanostatically Controlled Ion-Selective Sensors, PITTCON, New Orleans, LA, March 2-7, 2008
- Perera H., Shvarev A., Solid Contact Pulsed Galvanostatic Sensors, PITTCON, Chicago, IL, February 25-March 2, 2007.
- Milton Harris Graduate Fellowship (Summer 2007, Oregon State University (OSU))
- Courtney Dorothy Benedict Award for the graduate student in Chemistry who has demonstrated excellence in Research (2007, OSU)
- Chemistry Department Laboratory TA award (Spring 2007, OSU)
- Ingram award for the outstanding first year graduate student in Chemistry (2006, OSU)
- Justin Samarasekara Award for the Most Outstanding Science Student of the Year (2005, University of Colombo)
- Dharmachandra & Thamarasa Gunawardana Memorial Award for Analytical Chemistry (2005, University of Colombo)
- Professor R.S. Ramakrishna Gold Medal for Inorganic Chemistry (2005, University of Colombo)