Prof. Ramanee Wijesekera
Department of Chemistry,
University of Colombo,
Work Phone: (9411) 2503 367
Work Fax: (9411) 2503 367
Google Scholar Profile
- Ph.D. :Australian National University, Australia, 1990.
- B.Sc. (Chemistry Special, First Class), University of Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- Senior Lecturer I, Department of Chemistry, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka. (1997 – present).
- Senior Lecturer II, Department of Chemistry, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka. (1990 – 1997).
- Lecturer, Department of Chemistry, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka. (1984 – 1990).
Research Interests / Experience:
- Examination of the role of metal ions in activating biologically important phosphate derivatives such as esters, anhydrides, phosphoramidate esters towards hydrolysis or phosphoryl transfer: This involves the synthesis of model complexes and kinetic & mechanistic studies on these complexes; experience in nmr spectroscopy (31P nmr spectroscopy in particular) and uv/visible spectroscopy; Analysis of persistent organic pollutants such as pesticides and poly brominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) in different environmental matrices and method development for analyses of these species; experience in the use of GC and GC-MS; Determination of the organic and inorganic constituents in the blood of the Sri Lankan elephant; determination of metal ions in a variety of environmental matrices; experience in AAs and uv/visible spectroscopy.
-  Preliminary assessment of U.K. human dietary and inhalation exposure to polybrominated diphenyl ethers. Stuart Harrad, Ramanee Wijesekera, Stuart Hunter, Chris Halliwell and Robert Baker, Environ. Sci. Technol., 2004, 38(8), pp 2345-2350.
- (1) Zinc Metalloproteins, Edited by Professor R.M.Hartshorn, University of Caterbury, New Zealand.
- (2) Electronic Spectra of Transition Metal Complexes, Edited by Professor R.M.Hartshorn, University of Caterbury, New Zealand.