The Department of Chemistry at the University of Colombo provides outstanding undergraduate education through a program that integrates creative independent research via four(04) different special (or Four-Year) Degree programs.
The students who follow these special degree programs have the opportunity to work with highly trained and experienced faculty members and in most cases with the industry. Therefore, students can pursue research at the fronter of the major areas of modern chemistry, including:
- Application of Analytical Methods in Quality Assurance
- Electrochemistry and Photochemistry
- Biochemistry and Biotechnology
- Theoretical and Computational Chemistry
- Organic Synthesis and Natural products
- Developments and Applications of nano-materials
Our faculty members, who many of have earned prestigious awards, devote a great deal of their time to train undergraduate and postgraduate students in their research work. Our current faculty includes nine (09) professors including two senior professors and eleven (11) senior lecturers who have earned their Ph. D.’s from England, USA, Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, India and Japan.