Dr Jagath K. Wijerathna
Senior Lecturer - Grade I
Room : 213
- B.Sc. (Colombo) – First Class
- M.Sc. (Kaiserslautern, Germany)
- Ph.D. (Colombo)
Honors & Awards
- DAAD Scholarship (Germany) – (1993-1995).
- DAAD Scholarship (Germany) – (1997-1999).
- Quantitative Finance.
- Numerical Methods for Partial differential equations.
- Computational Fluid dynamics.
- Mathematical Modeling
Undergraduate Teaching Experience
- Ordinary Differential Equations
- Computing for Finance
- Linear Algebra.
- Numerical methods
- Partial Differential Equations
- Financial Derivatives
- Mathematical Modeling
- Financial Derivatives
- Financial Risk Management
- Factor Analysis
Worked as a Consultant Vice President ( Head of Mathematical Modeling and Quant Training) at AMBA Research(Lanka)Ltd (http://www.ambaresearch.com) from June 2006 to may 2008. Duties were Asset allocation, Risk Management, Portfolio Optimization, Financial Derivative Pricing, Montecarlo Simulation, Interest rate modeling, parallel computing and Conduct Quant training.
- Life Member of Sri Lanka Association for the Advancement of Science (SLAAS).
Workshop and Training Programs Attended
- International Statistics Conference, 27-28 December 2011 , Applied Statistics Association of Sri Lanka, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- International Statistics Conference, 8 January 2009 – 10 January 2009, Applied Statistics Association of Sri Lanka, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- Training Program in C++ programming, conducted by Prof. S. El-Seoud, Department of Mathematics, University of Darmstadt, Germany (2001).
1. Kumari KDN. and Wijerathna JK., “Sensitivity of Tube Inclination Angle on Thermal Performance of Water-In-Glass Evacuated Tube Solar Water Heater” International Conference on Computational Modeling & Simulation (ICCMS-2017), University of Colombo. (Accepted February, 2017)
2. CR Rajapaksa and JK.Wijerathna, Adaptation to space mitigation guidelines and space law, Astropolitics, Vol 15(1)pp65-76(2017).
3. Kumari K.D.N. and Wijerathna JK, “Sensitivity of Acute Angle to the Heat Transfer Process of a Circular Tube with a Hemispherical Cup at the bottom of an Evacuated Solar Collector” Symposium On Statistical & Computational Modelling With Applications,, University of Kelaniya(2016).
4. Kumari K.D.N. and Wijerathna JK., “Numerical simulation of heat flow of a circular tube with a hemispherical cup at the bottom in a evacuated solar collector” Annual Research Symposium, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka(2016)
5. Mahasinghe, A., Wang, J.B. and Wijerathna, JK., Some counter–intuitive remarks on quantum vertex–partitioning scheme applied to identity graphs, In Abstracts of International Conference on Quantum Foundations, Patna(2015)
6. Mahasinghe, A., Izaac, J., Wang, JB. and Wijerathna, JK., Phase–modified CTQW unable to distinguish strongly regular graphs efficiently, Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and Theoretical, 48 (26), p. 265301(2015).
7. NS Ratnayaka and JK Wijerathna, Modification of information gain measure to select the best group of attributes in a data set for binary decision tree inducer, Proceedings of Research symposium Uva Wellassa University,(2015).
8. Kumari KDN. and Wijerathna JK., “Effect of the angle of the heat flux to the tube and effect of the acute-angle of the tube to horizontal on heat transferring process in solar collectors” 11th Annual Research Session, Eastern University, Sri Lanka(2014).
9. Kumari KDN. and Wijerathna JK., “Numerical Simulation of Heat Flow of a Circular Tube in a Solar Collector Which is placed with an Acute-angle θ to the Horizontal” International Conference on Nonlinear Dynamics and its Applications in Physical and Biological Sciences (CNDAPBS-14), India(2014)
10. Kumari KDN. and Wijerathna JK., “Numerical study of natural convection of heat flow on water through a circular pipe” proceeding of HETC Symposium, Colombo, pp. 128 (2014)..
11. Mahasinghe, A., Wang, J.B. and Wijerathna, JK.. Quantum walk–based search and symmetries in graphs. Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and Theoretical, 47(50), p.505301(2014).
12. CR Rajapaksa,JK Wijerathna,Space Debris Removal Strategies and their Feasibility, Indian journal of Science and Technology Vol(7)7,pp991-1004,(2014)
13. L Gooneratne, M Wimalachandra, J Wijerathna, N Karunathunga, S Jayasinghe, Slow platelet recovery pattern during the 2011 dengue outbreak: a Preliminary report, Ceylon Medical Journal, Vol 59, No 2 PP61-63(2014).
14. Mahasinghe, A. and Wijerathna, J.,. Symbolic logic, humor and inconsistency. Indian Journal of Industrial and Applied Mathematics, 4(1), pp.99-104(2013).
15. Anuradha Mahasinghe, J.Wijerathna, Jayantha Suranimalee ,Two mathematical recreations from Sri Lankan indigenous knowledge , Proceedings of the Annual Research Symposium, University of Colombo, October 3-4, (2013).
16. C.R. Rajapaksa , JK. Wijerathna, Space debris mitigation and strategy analysis , Proceedings of the Annual Research Symposium, University of Colombo, October 3-4, (2013).
17. A. Mahasinghe, JK. Wijerathna, J. Wang, Two-particle Quantum walks over a Line, Proceedings of the Annual Research Symposium, University of Colombo, November-28, (2012).
18. R. Randeniya , JK.Wijerathna, The Application of the Fama and French Factor Model for the Sri Lankan Stock Market, Proceedings of the Annual Research Symposium, University of Colombo, November-28,(2012).
19. Wijerathna JK, Perera SSN, Kaluarachchi HKPK, Kalubowila SS, Kuruwita TG “Modeling and Forecasting the Asset Values using Ornstein Uhlnbeck Process” Proceedings on International Statistics Conference, Applied Statistics Association of Sri Lanka, pp 17(2009).
20. Wierathna JK, Perera SSN, NWVSC Surasinghe (2010) “Economic Recession Forecasting using Neural Network”, SLAAS Proceedings of the 66th Annual Sessions, pp 88.
21. Perera SSN, Goetz T, Wijerathna JK “Natural Ventilation Techniques for Energy Efficiency of Buildings with Parallel Ceilings in Tropical Region”, Proceedings of the Conference on Modeling and Simulation on Life Science and Material Technology, IIT, Madras, India. (Modeling and Simulation, A. Avudainayagam, P. Misra and S. Sundar (eds), Narosa publication house, ND, India) pp 97-105(2004).
22. J. Wijerathna(2001) Some down to earth applications in Mathematical modeling, Symposium on Mathematical modeling ,National Science Foundation, PP9-10(2001)
23. Wijerathna JK, Numerical solutions of Darcy’s law with memory, Joint research work at the University of Colombo and University of Kaiserslautern, Ph.D. Disst.(1999).
24. Wijerathna JK, Vortex Methods and Geophysical Fluid Mechanics, 1995 – 38B1:graph.Darst(engl) Kaiserslautern, Univ.MSc. Diss.(1995).
Joint Research Activities:
- Heat transfer problem with the Department of Mathematics, University of Kaiserslautern, Germany( http://www.mathematik.uni-kl.de ).
- Dynamics of Dengue fever propergation with the Institute of Technology, Bandung, Indonesia.
- Developing a simulator for money treding with People’s Bank of Sri Lanka.
- President of SAAS Section E1 2010
- Organized the first international conference at the Department of Mathematics, University of Colombo in Mathematical Modelling from 09.09.2003 to 19.09.2003.
- This ten day conference consisted of public lectures of eight international experts in the subject area and interactive industrial problem solving sessions for undergraduates supervised by the international experts.
- Made arrangements to sign a Memorandum of Understanding(copy attached) to develop the Mathematical modeling activities in the department with four other leading international higher educational institutions, namely, Indian Institute of technology, Roorkee, India, Institue of technology, Bandung, Indonesia, University of Addis Abbeba, Ethiopia and University of Kaiserslautern, Germany. As a result department members could participate in the international workshops held in Mathematical Modelling.
- As a coordinator of the new undergraduate program in Finance, Business and Computational Mathematics I organized many industry visits together with the staff in order to get industrial projects for students.
- Activity coordinator ADB personnel Development Project
- Worked as a student counselor at the Faculty of Science.