Dr. S. K. Boralugoda
Senior Lecturer - Grade I
Room : 208 D
- Ph.D. (Mathematics) (1998) University of Alberta, Canada.
- M.Sc. (Mathematics) (1994) University of Alberta, Canada.
- B.Sc. (Special Degree in Mathematics )(First Class) (1990), University of Sri Jayewardenepura , Sri Lanka.
- Senior Lecturer (Grade I) in Mathematics, July 2009 – present Department of Mathematics, University of Colombo.
- Senior Lecturer (Grade I) in Mathematics, June 2004 – June 2009 Department of Mathematics, University of Sri Jayewardenepura
- Senior Lecturer (Grade II) in Mathematics, June 1998 – June 2004 Department of Mathematics, University of Sri Jayewardenepura
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, Sep. 1992 – June 1998 Department of Mathematics, University of Alberta, Canada.
- Assistant Lecturer in Mathematics, June 1990 – June 1992 Department of Mathematics, University of Sri Jayewardenepura.
- Fulbright Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, Western Michigan University, U.S.A.( Aug. 2006 – Dec. 2006)
- Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship ( M.Sc. & Ph.D.), University of Alberta, Canada (1992-1998)
- Team Leader – Undergraduate Mathematics Olympiad Team, 2011, Tehran, Iran
- Fulbright Fellow – Western Michigan University, USA, 2006.
- Course Coordinator – Industrial Mathematics M.Sc. Program, University of Sri Jayewardenepura, (2003-2006)
- Non-Smooth Analysis
- Mathematical Modeling
- Mathematics Education
- Local Integration of Prox-Regular Functions in Hilbert Spaces, (with R. Poliquin, University of Alberta, Canada), Journal of Convex Analysis, Heldermann Verlag, Germany 13(2006), No. 1.
- A Proof of Young’s Inequality via Fenchel Conjugate (January 2005),Proceedings of the 5th Annual Research Sessions, Faculty of Graduate Studies, University of Sri Jayewardenepura.
- Prox-Regular Functions in Hilbert Spaces, PhD Thesis (1998) , Department of Mathematics, University of Alberta, Canada.
- Mathematical Structure for Accumulation given by Integration, (with N.C. Ganegoda, K.K.W.A.S. Kumara) Annual Research Sessions, 2011, University of Colombo, Sri |Lanka.
Talks and Presentations:
- Prox-Regular Functions in Variational Analysis, Mathematics Colloquim, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, U.S.A.(October 26, 2006)
- Evolution Problems Associated with Nonsmooth Functions, Analysis Seminar, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, U.S.A.(October 04, 2006)
- N.C. Ganegoda, PhD project, “Mathematical Analysis of Parasite Dynamics of Lymphatic Filariasis using Range Modelling and other approaches in relation to observation data from Sri Lanka”.
M.Sc. Projects in Mathematics Education:
- A new dynamic visual approach to solve calculus problems – D.S. Dissanayake
- Polynomials in real life – S. Costa
- A study of the mathematical constant e and the exponential function – D.C. Hippola
Projects Supervised (Math Special Degree- University of Sri Jayewardenepura):
- Non-smooth Differential Theory of Locally Lipschitz functions, T. D. A. Gomez (2000)
- Convex Programs and their Non-smooth Extensions, K. P. S. T. P. Fernando (2002)
- A Study of Fenchel Conjugate of Convex Functions, H. I. B. Soysa (2002)
- Extreme Points and Faces of Convex Sets, K. M. O. N. Karunarathna (2004)
- On the Eigen Values of Graphs, N. C. Ganegoda (2004)
- Applications of Graph Theory, U. Jayamanne (2008)
Undergraduate Teaching Experiences
- Over 20 years of undergraduate teaching experience.Each year I conduct Analysis and Optimization courses for B.Sc.(special/general) degree students in Mathematics and M.Sc. degree students in Mathematics Education and Financial Mathematics. Analysis courses cover Calculus, Complex Analysis, Measure Theory, Functional Analysis, etc., while Optimization courses cover Operational Research, Nonlinear programming, Calculus of Variations, Convex Analysis, etc.
Postgraduate Teaching Experiences
- Over 12 years of postgraduate teaching experience.
- Optimization, Graph Theory – M.Sc. in Industrial Mathematics, University of Sri Jayewardenepura.
- Optimization Methods in Finance – M.Sc. in Financial Mathematics, University of Colombo.
- Perspectives in Analysis, Perspectives in Geometry and Vectors – M.Sc. in Mathematics Education, University of Colombo.
- Visiting Lecturer – University of Sabaragamuwa, 2011.
Participation in Industrial Mathematics Training Programs:
- Workshop on Modeling in Life and Material Sciences and in Technology, 8th March – 2nd April 2004, at the Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics, Trieste, Italy.
- International Conference and Instructional Workshop on Industrial Mathematics’, 2nd – 9th December 2002, at Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, India.
- Training Program and Short Course on Industrial Mathematics and Its Applications, 26th – 30th December 2001, University of Kelaniya.