Dr. Dilushan R. Jayasundara
Department of Physics,
University of Colombo,
Work Phone: +94 11 258 4777
Cell Phone: +94 77 089 5369
Work Fax: +94 11 2584 777
- Senior Research Scientist, Sri Lanka Institute of Nanotechnology (SLINTEC). 2013-2014
- Post Doctoral Researcher, University of Dublin Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland. 2010-2013
- Ph.D. in Physics, University of Houston, Houston, TX, USA. 2008 Pd.D Dissertation: “Design and Construction of a Low Temperature Scanning Tunneling Microscope for Studying High Temperature Superconductivity”.
- M.S. in Physics, University of Houston, Houston, TX, USA. 2003
- B.S. in Physics with Honors, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka. 1999
Research Interests and experiences
My research interests are mainly in the areas of materials research and nanotechnology. These include graphene and graphene applications, understanding physics and chemistry at interface, and industrial applications of nanotechnology.
Research experience in nonmaterial synthesis; synthesis of graphene oxide (GO)/ graphene; developing advance functional coatings for sensing, self cleaning and antifouling applications; surface and electronic structure manipulations at nanoscale; structure-reaction studies of thin films; cryogenics and UHV (Ultra High Vacuum) Systems, including designing.
I have extensive experiences in experimental techniques of STM (Scanning tunneling microscopy), AFM (Atomic force microscopy), XPS (X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy), UPS (Ultraviolet photoelectron spectroscopy), FT-IR (Fourier transformed infra-red spectroscopy), UV-Vis (Ultraviolet-visible spectroscopy), SEM (Scanning electron microscopy), and CV (Cyclic voltammetry).
- Sri Lanka Institute of Nanotehcnology (SLINTEC)
- Trinity College Dublin, Ireland
If you are interested in research collaborations, please feel free to contact me with your interest.
Refereed International Publications:
- “Graphene-Based Membranes Fabricated Using High Purity Natural Vein Graphite (NVG)”, A.R. Kumarasinghe, S. George1, R.N. Wijesena, D.Jayasundara, K.M. Nalin de Silva and G.A.J. Amaratunga. International Journal of Scientific Engineering and Technology 2014, Volume No.3 Issue No.11, pp : 1375-1379.
- “Carbohydrate Coatings via Aryldiazonium Chemistry for Surface Biomimicry”, Dilushan R. Jayasundara, Thomas Duff, M. Daniela Angione, Jean Bourke, Deirdre M.Murphy, Eoin M. Scanlan and Paula E. Colavita. Chemistry of Materials 2013, 25 (20), 4122–4128.
- “In situ and real time characterization of spontaneous grafting of aryldiazonium salts at carbon surfaces”, Dilushan Jayasundara, Ronan J. Cullen and Paula E. Colavita. Chemistry of Materials 2013, 25, 1144.
- “Heterogeneous charge transfer at the amorphous carbon/solution interface: effect on the spontaneous attachment of aryldiazonium salts”, M. Murphy, Ronan J. Cullen, Dilushan Jayasundara, Richard L. Doyle, Michael E. G. Lyons and Paula E. Colavita. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C 2013, 117 (44), 22768–22777.
- “Study of the spontaneous attachment of polycyclic aryldiazonium salts onto amorphous carbon substrates”, Deirdre M. Murphy, Ronan J. Cullen, Dilushan Jayasundara, Eoin M. Scanlan and Paula E. Colavita. RSC Adv. 2012, 2, 6527.
- “Spontaneous grafting of nitrophenyl groups on amorphous carbon thin films: A structure-reactivity investigation”, Ronan J. Cullen, Dilushan Jayasundara, Laura Soldi, Jayce J. Cheng, Gaelle Dufaure, and Paula E. Colavita. Chemistry of Materials 2012, 24, 1031.
- “In situ studies of the adsorption kinetics of 4-nitrobenzenediazonium salt on gold”, Dilushan Jayasundara, Ronan J. Cullen, Laura Soldi, and Paula E. Colavita. Langmuir, 2011, 27, 13029.
- “Photochemically triggered alkylthiol reactions on highly ordered pyrolytic graphite”, Laura Soldi, Ronan J. Cullen, Dilushan Jayasundara, Eoin M. Scanlan, Silvia Giordani, and Paula E. Colavita. J. Phys. Chem. C. 2011, 115, 10196.
- “Design and Construction of a Low Temperature Scanning Tunneling Microscope for Studying High Temperature Superconductivity”, Dilushan Jayasundara, ProQuest/UMI publishers, 2008.
- “Surface Geometric and Electronic Structures of BaFe2As2 (001)”, V.B. Nascimento, Ang Li, Dilushan R. Jayasundara, Yi Xuan, Jared O’Neal, Shuheng Pan, T. Y. Chien, Biao Hu, X.B. He, Guorong Li, A. S. Sefat, M. A. McGuire, B.C. Sales, D. Mandrus, M.H. Pan, Jiandi Zhang, R. Jin, and E.W. Plummer. Phys. Rev. Lett. 2009, 103, 076104.
- “Solid State cells with magnesium ion conducting polymer electrolyte based on polyacrylonitrile (PAN)” M.A.K.L. Dissanayake, Kumudu Perera, J.M.D.R. Jayasundara and M.A. Careem Solid State Ionic Devices : Science and Technology, Ed. S. Selladurai et al, Allied Publishers Ltd, New Delhi, (2000).
- “Research related to hi-tech products based on graphene” – Invited talk, Roundtable discussion series on Value addition of graphite, organized by Coordinating Secretariat for Science Technology and Innovation (COSTI), Colombo, Sri Lanka, 2014.
- “Combined in situ and ex situ characterisation of diazonium salt chemisorptions at gold and carbon surfaces” – European Materials Society (E-MRS) Spring meeting, Strasburg, France 2012.
- “In situ and real time characterisation of the spontaneous grafting of aryldiazonium salts at gold and carbon surfaces” –Smart Surfaces: Solar and Biosensor Applications, Dublin 2012.
- “Real time characterisation of diazonium salt chemisorptions on gold surfaces” – Royal Chemical Society (RSC): International conference on materials chemistry, Manchester UK, 2011.
- “Electronic structure on (001) surface of Co-doped BaFe2As2 studied with scanning tunneling spectroscopy” –American Physical Society (APS) March meeting, Denver, USA 2009.
- “Electronic Structure on (001) Surface of BaFe2As2 Parent Compound Studied with Scanning Tunneling Spectroscopy” –American Physical Society (APS) March meeting, Denver, USA 2009.