The Physics Education unit was established in order to enhance the Physics education in Sri Lanka. The purpose of the unit is to uplift the level of education of Physics teachers in the secondary and tertiary levels. However, the services are designed to give a broad basis for Physics teaching professionals in general. The research carried on within the unit will mainly guide towards Physics education especially focusing on Physics teacher education. On this basis, innovative and successful solutions for Physics teacher education will be developed. Furthermore, the centre will investigate ways that teachers can enhance student understanding by promoting active learning in the classroom and pursuing strategies that meet the needs of diverse students.
- Prof. S. R. D. Rosa
- Dr. K. P. S. C. Jayaratne
- Dr. D. D. N. B. Daya
- Dr. W. M. K. P. Wijayaratne
- Dr. R. V. Coorey
- Conducting the M. Sc./Postgraduate Diploma in Physics Education
- Conducting workshops for A/L Physics teachers.
- Production of interactive Physics software.
- Production of electronics practical kits.
Objective of the Physics Education Unit
- Offer diploma and postgraduate level courses for G.C.E. (A/L) Physics teachers to obtain accredited qualifications to advance their careers.
- Conduct Physics education research programs to find better methodologies to enhance Physics teaching in secondary and tertiary education institutes.
- Conduct Physics popularization programs for school children and general public.
- Conduct a wide range of training courses and workshops in Physics Education to enable Physics teachers to train in modern IT based education concepts.
- Setting up of a well-equipped laboratory with a sufficient number of computers and supporting equipment, demonstration set-ups, audio-visual facilities and, Internet and communication facilities to carry out Physics education training and research.
- Produce Physics educational and interactive software.
- Construction of teaching instruments (in collaboration with Centre for Instrument Development) and introduction of interactive Physics teaching demonstration kits.
- Production of Physics text books and other teaching material.
- Setting up of real experiments and demonstrations kits.
- Give sufficient training to the teachers to apply the new education methodologies in their classroom teaching.
- Establish collaborative links with professionals and academics from other disciplines of the natural sciences to extend the activities of the group to science education research.