Dr Gayani Harendra Galhena
Senior Lecturer II
Department of Zoology and Environment Sciences,
University of Colombo,
Work Phone: +94112158381
PhD in Human Molecular Genetics – Human Genetics Unit, Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka (2012)
M.Sc. (by Research) in Molecular Genetics (Distinction) – University of Leeds, UK (2006)
B.Sc. Special degree in Zoology (First Class Honours) – Faculty of Science, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka (2001)
Advanced Certificate of Guidance and Counseling (Honours) (1995)
Diploma in Psychology (Honours) (1995)
Molecular Biology, Epigenetics, Population Genetics, Medical Genetics, Developmental Genetics, Human Genetics, Bioethics and Medical Ethics
Population Genetics, Medical Genetics, DNA fingerprinting in forensic and kinship analysis
- Rubikah Vimonish, Gayani Harendra Galhena ,Kuda Liyanage Nandika Perera , Manjula Priyantha Sumith Magamage (2017) Molecular detection of Babesia bovis and Babesia bigemina in suspected carrier cattle and ticks in selected localities in Sri Lanka. Asian Australian Journal of Animal Sciences
- Chenthuran, G. G. Harendra, R. W. Jayasekara, V. H. W. Polymorphism in the epidermal growth factor gene is associated with pre-eclampsia and low birthweight. (2014) The Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Research 40(5):1235–1242, DOI: 10.1111/jog.12362
- G. Harendra, R. W. Jayasekara, V. H. W. Dissanayake. Haplotypes of Heparin-binding EGF-like Growth Factor (HBEGF) gene are associated with preeclampsia. (2011). The Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Research 38(1):239-46 Doi:10.1111/j.1447-0756.2011.01700.x
- G. Harendra, R. W. Jayasekara, V. H. W. Dissanayake. In silico analysis of single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in the HBEGF gene and their allelic profiles in the Sri Lankan population: a comprehensive approach to prioritise SNP markers for candidate gene studies. (2011). Sri Lankan Journal of Bio Medical Informatics 2:21-37. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4038/sljbmi.v2i1.2926
On-going Research Projects
- The feasibility of using EPIC markers to detect population genetic structures of dengue vectors Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus in Sri Lanka. Funded by Collaborative Research Grants, University of Colombo.
- Spatial genetic structure of dengue vector Aedes aegypti in relation to recent dengue outbreaks in Sri Lanka. Funded by Small Research Grants. University of Colombo.
- Dengue virus infection rates in Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus mosquitoes in selected areas in Sri Lanka and its relationship with current dengue outbreaks. Funded by Research Scholarship Scheme, National Science Foundation Sri Lanka.
- A population genetic study of 12 X-STR loci in Sri Lankan population and its applicability in forensic and kinship analysis purposes. Funded by Competitive Research grants, National Research Council, Sri Lanka