Prof. Mayuri R. Wijesinghe
Professor in Zoology
Department of Zoology and Environment Sciences,
University of Colombo,
Work Phone: +94112158394
Academic and Professional qualifications
Ph.D.(Cantab) 2001 (Conservation Biology)
First Class Honours in Zoology B.Sc. (Hons.) 1995
My research focuses on two aspects of applied ecology – Conservation Biology and Ecotoxicology. Under Conservation Biology I focus on assessing the impacts of forest loss, fragmentation and disturbance of different faunal taxa through the study of key ecological concepts such as species-area relationships, niche partitioning and specialization, thermo-sensitivity, population dynamics and behavior, which allows us to understand differential susceptibility of species to habitat change. Previous studies have demonstrated the differential susceptibility of endemics and non-endemics. Under ecotoxicology I have assessed the levels of aquatic pollutants and researched on how pollutants such as heavy metals, pesticides and herbicides induce lethal and sublethal damage in a variety of species. Sublethal impacts cover histological toxicity, haematotoxicity, genotoxicity and alterations in activity and behavior affecting individual fitness. Ramifications of organism level changes on populations, species and ecosystems are also predicted based on the findings. Many of the findings in both Conservation Biology and Ecotoxicology have provided information useful for formulating and implementing conservation actions for our faunal species.
- Mayuri R. Wijesinghe & M. de L. Brooke (2005). Impact of habitat disturbance on the distribution of endemic species of small mammals and birds in a tropical rainforest in Sri Lanka. Journal of Tropical Ecology, 21: 661-668.
- Dulangi M. Sumanadasa, Mayuri R. Wijesinghe & Wanigasekara D. Ratnasooriya, (2008). Effects of Diazinon on larvae of the Asian Common Toad (Bufo melanostictus Schneider 1799). Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 27 (11): 2320-2325.
- D. M. Sumanadasa, Mayuri R. Wijesinghe & W.D. Ratnasooriya (2008) Effects of Diazinon on survival and growth of two amphibian larvae. Journal of the National Science Foundation, 36 (2): 165-169.
- Mayuri R. Wijesinghe(2010). Efficiency of live trapping protocols to assess small mammal diversity in tropical rainforests of Sri Lanka. Belgian Journal of Zoology, 140 (2): 212-215.
- M. R. Wijesinghe, M.G.D.K. Bandara, W. D. Ratnasooriya & G. P. Lakraj (2011). Chlorpyrifos-induced toxicity in Duttaphrynus melanostictus (Schneider 1799) larvae. Arch. Environ. Contam. Toxicol., 60: 690-696.
- R. A. A. R., Ranatunge, M. R. Wijesinghe, W. D. Ratnasooriya, H. A. S. G. Dharmarathne & R. D. Wijesekera (2012). Cadmium-induced toxicity on larvae of the Common Asian Toad Duttaphrynus melanostictus (Schneider, 1799): Evidence from empirical trials. Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology: 89 (12): 143-146.
- R. A. A. R. Ranatunge, M. R. Wijesinghe, W. D. Ratnasooriya and R. Wijesekera (2013). Effects of Cadmium on some hematological parameters of the Mozambique Tilapia, Oreochromis mossambicus (Peters 1852). Asian Journal of Water, Environment and Pollution, 10 (1): 149-153.
- Mark S. Harvey, Pamoda B. Ratnaweera, Preethi V. Udagama & Mayuri R. Wijesinghe (2012): A new species of the pseudoscorpion genus Megachernes (Pseudoscorpiones: Chernetidae) associated with a threatened Sri Lankan rainforest rodent, with a review of host associations of Megachernes. Journal of Natural History, 46 (41-44): 2519-2535.
- Fernando V.K., Perera I.C., Dangalle C.D., Premawansa S. and Wijesinghe M.R. (2015). Histological alterations in the body wall of the tropical earthworm Eudrilus eugeniae exposed to hexavalent chromium. Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology 94(6): 744-748.
- Dishane K. Hewavithana, Mayuri R. Wijesinghe, Chandima D. Dangalle and H. A. S. Gayan Dharmarathne.(2016). Habitat and dung preferences of scarab beetles off the subfamily Scarabaeinae: A case study in tropical monsoon forest in Sri Lanka. Journal of Tropical Insect Science 36(2): 96-105.
- Vindhya A.K. Fernando, Jagathpriya Weerasena, G. Pemantha Lakraj, Inoka C. Perera, Chandima D. Dangalle, Shiroma Handunnetti, Sunil Premawansa, Mayuri R. Wijesinghe. (2016). Lethal and sub-lethal effects on the Asian common toad Duttaphrynus melanostictus from exposure to hexavalent chromium 177: 98-105.
Extended CV – Prof. M. R. Wijesinghe