- Degree: Ph.D. in Inorganic Chemistry (2013)
Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, USA
Thesis Title: Synthesis and characterization of new Gd3+-containing complexes as potential targeted contrast agents for magnetic resonance imaging.
- Degree: B.Sc. Special Degree in Chemistry (First Class Honors) (2006)
University of Colombo, Colombo, Sri Lanka;
- Fields: Inorganic and Bioinorganic Chemistry
- Development of lanthanide- and transition metal-based molecular imaging probes (coordination complexes and nanoparticles for luminescence and magnetic resonance imaging);
- Study of lanthanide–small natural organic molecule interactions using lanthanide luminescence;
- Development of lanthanide-doped and plant extract-based nanomaterials;
- Investigation of metal ions and complexes in medicinal plant materials.
- Postdoctoral fellow
Uppsala University (Sweden); March 2014–March 2015
Advisor: Dr. Eszter Borbas; “Development of lanthanide-based tools for investigating nucleic acid structure and function”
- Graduate Research (August 2008–December 2013)
Wayne State University, USA
Advisor: Dr. Matthew J. Allen; “Synthesis and characterization of new Gd3+-containing complexes as targeted contrast agents for magnetic resonance imaging”
- Undergraduate Research (January 2005–June 2006)
University of Colombo, Sri Lanka.
Advisor: Dr. Sujatha Hewage; “Development and improvement of biodegradable cowpea protein polymer film”
- Intern (July 2006–September 2006)
Government Analyst’s Department, Sri Lanka
Supervisor: Mrs. S. Thennakoon (Deputy Government analyst); “Development of screening methods and qualitative toxicological analysis of biological samples”
- Vithanarachchi, S. M.; Foley, C.; Ewing, J. R.; Ali, M. M.; Trimpin, S.; Allen, M. J. Myelin-targeted, texaphyrin-based multimodal imaging agent for magnetic resonance and optical imaging. Contrast Media Mol. Imaging, 2016,11, 492–505.
- Vithanarachchi, S. M.; Kovacs, D.; Borbas, K. E. Synthesis and photophysical characterization of luminescent lanthanide complexes of nucleotide-functionalized cyclen- and dipicolinate-based ligands. Inorg. Chim. Acta.2017, 460, 148-158.
- Kochi, A.; Lee, H. J.; Vithanarachchi, S. M.; Padmini, V.; Allen, M. J.; Lim, M. H. Inhibitory Activity of Curcumin Derivatives toward Metal-Free and Metal-Induced Amyloid-Beta Aggregation. Alzheimer Res. 2015, 12(5), 415–423.
- Imperial, L.; Vithanarachchi, S. M.; Wager-Miller, J.; Mackie, K.; Allen, M. J.; Trimpin, S. A novel soft ionization process and applications in imaging mass spectrometry. J. 2014, 106, 1a. (Published Abstract)
- Vithanarachchi, S. M.; Allen, M. J. A Multimodal, β-Amyloid-Targeted Contrast Agent. Commun. 2013, 49, 4148–4150.
- Vithanarachchi, S. M.; Allen, M. J. Strategies for Target-Specific Contrast Agents for Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Current Molecular Imaging, 2012, 1, 12–25. (Review article)
- Averill, D. J.;* Garcia, J.;* Siriwardena-Mahanama, B. N.;* Vithanarachchi, S. M.;* Allen, M. J. Preparation, Purification, and Characterization of Lanthanide Complexes for Use as Contrast Agents for Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Vis. Exp. 2011, 53, e2844. (* co-first author)
- Hewage, S.; Vithanarachchi, S. M. Preparation and characterization of biodegradable polymer films from cowpea (Vigna unguiculata) protein isolate. Natn. Sci. Foundation Sri Lanka 2009, 37, 53–59.
Other Publications (Paper articles, Newsletters, Book chapters, etc.)
- Vithanarachchi, S. M. Trageted imaging probe from a natural compound in turmeric, Chemistry in Sri Lanka, September 2015, 32(3), 44–47. (Guest Article)
- Vithanarachchi, S. M. Use of metal ions in diagnostic imaging, Chemistry in Sri Lanka, January 2017, 34(1), 13–16. (Guest Article)
- 244th American Chemical Society National Meeting & Exposition. Philadelphia, PA. August 19–23, 2012; Poster Abstract INOR-212.
- Ohio Inorganic Weekend 2013. University of Dayton, Dayton, OH. November 15–16, 2013; Poster.
- Ohio Inorganic Weekend 2012. Wayne State University, Detroit, MI. October 19–20, 2012; Poster.
- Ohio Inorganic Weekend 2011. University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH. October 28–29, 2011; Talk.
- Ohio Inorganic Weekend 2010. The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH. October 29–30, 2010; Poster.
- Ohio Inorganic Weekend 2009. Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH. November 13–14, 2009; Poster.
- 15th Annual Chemistry Graduate Research Symposium 2013. Wayne State University, Detroit, MI. September 28, 2013; Poster
- 14th Annual Chemistry Graduate Research Symposium 2012. Wayne State University, Detroit, MI. October 13, 2012; Poster
- Graduate Exhibition 2012. Wayne State University, Detroit, MI. March 6, 2012; Poster.
- Proteases and Cancer Program Annual Retreat 2011. Wayne State University, Detroit, MI. December 1, 2011; Poster.
- Schaap Chemistry Symposium. Wayne State University, Detroit, MI. September 17, 2011; Poster.
- 12th Annual Chemistry Graduate Research Symposium 2010. Wayne State University, Detroit, MI. October 9, 2010; Poster.
- 11th Annual Chemistry Graduate Research Symposium 2009. Wayne State University, Detroit, MI. October 3, 2009; Poster.
In Sri Lanka
- Chemtech 2007, International Conference. Bandaranaike Memorial Conference Hall, Colombo, Sri Lanka. June 20–23, 2007; Poster.
Fellowships, Awards, and Grants
- University Research Grants (AP/3/2/2016/SG/18); Investigator: S. M. Vithanarachchi; Co-investigator: R. D. Wijesekera; Title: Synthesis and evaluation of Cu(II)-selective fluorescence sensors; May 2016–May 2017 (University of Colombo, Sri Lanka)
- Recipient of Certificate in Teaching in Higher Education (CTHE) by the University of Colombo and accredited by Staff and Educational Development Association (SEDA), UK: 2016
- Wenner-Gren Postdoctoral Fellowship, Sweden: March 2014–March 2015 (Internationally competitive award)
- Summer 2013 Dissertation Fellowship: May 2013–August 2013(Wayne State University)
- ACS Division of Inorganic Chemistry Travel Award: 2012 (Nationally competitive award-USA)
- American Foundation for Aging Research (AFAR) Award: December 2010–November 2011(Nationally competitive award-USA)
- Dharmachandra & Tamarasa Gunawardhana Memorial Gold Medal for Analytical Chemistry awarded by the University of Colombo, Sri Lanka on the results of the B.Sc. special degree in chemistry: August 2006
- Merit award for the inter-university chemistry competition by the Sri Lankan section of the Royal Society of Chemistry: 2006
- Credit awards from Australian Chemistry Quiz and International Competitions for Schools Science by Royal Australian Chemical Institute and The University of New South Wales, respectively: 1999, 1998
- Senior Lecturer, Department of Chemistry, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka: 2015–Present
- Visiting Lecturer of MSc. Chemistry programs (Analytical Chemistry, Applied Organic Chemistry, and Chemistry Education) in the University of Colombo, Sri Lanka: 2015, 2016
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden: 2014–2015
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, USA: 2008–2010, 2012
- Graduate Research Assistant, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, USA: 2011, 2013
- Assistant Superintendant of Customs, Sri Lanka Customs: January 2008–June 2008 (resigned to pursue a PhD in Chemistry)
- Assistant Lecturer, Department of Chemistry, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka: September 2006–December 2007