M.Sc. in Chemistry Education
Course Coordinator: Dr. Aashani Tillekaratne
Now calling applications for M.Sc. in Chemistry Education program (2018). Application deadline is 15th August 2018.
Chemistry is the foundation for all other sciences. It embraces the areas of medicine, engineering, agriculture, environment, biotechnology and nanotechnology. The beauty of this subject lies in its applicability to all aspects of our lives. In recognizing the importance of Chemistry, Sri Lankan education system has made it a key subject in the curriculum of the secondary level of science education. Students are eager to learn Chemistry as it has been the base for many other branching areas in science. It is, therefore, imperative that the teaching of Chemistry be conducted in such a manner to lay a strong foundation on which their future careers would be building upon. With the advancement of science & technology the understanding of core concepts in Chemistry has been made easier, enabling the learning of Chemistry interesting and rewarding.
This program is, therefore, designed to impart new approaches to teaching and learning Chemistry and to update the subject knowledge in both Chemistry and Science education. This course is of particular value to those who are currently working in the field of Chemistry education in state or private sectors and for those seeking employment in the field of Chemistry education.
ELIGIBILITY AND SELECTION
Application for admission to the course will be entertained from candidates who have passed the B.Sc. degree with Chemistry as a subject from a recognized university or an equivalent qualification acceptable to the Faculty Board of the Faculty of Science, University of Colombo. The selection will be on the basis of M.C.Q Examination and/or an interview.
- Reinforce and update the knowledge of Chemistry
- Enhance the teaching skills and motivation by using modern methods of teaching, lecture demonstrations and laboratory experiments
- Use of information technology and molecular modeling in teaching chemistry
- Train the teachers to design and implement new activities related to the content in G.C.E. Advanced Level syllabus to make teaching more attractive and interesting
- Expose the teachers to modern chemistry equipment
- Develop the ability to effectively manage a chemistry laboratory
- Introduce effective evaluation and assessment methods
- Train the teachers to design curricula, lessons and assessments
- Encourage teachers to obtain feedback from students and use them constructively to improve the classroom activities
- Introduce the concepts of student-centered, inquiry-based, activity-based and technology-enabled education into the conventional classroom
- Train the teachers to recognize the various psychological aspects of students
- Develop and enhance the presentation skills of the teachers
- Develop the ability for research in education and in chemistry
- Improve the scientific writing skills
PART 1 (Postgraduate Diploma in Chemistry Education – SLQF 8)
- Foundations of Science Education
- Technology Enabled Learning
- Methodology of Teaching and Learning Science
- Assessment and Evaluation Methods in Chemistry Education
- Research Methods in Chemistry Education
- Chemistry Education Seminar/Teaching Practice
- Lecture Demonstrations in Chemistry Education
- Chemistry Laboratory
- Chemical Calculations in Analytical Chemistry
- Chemical Bonding
- Organic Chemistry
- Modern Physical Chemistry
- Special Topics in Chemistry
PART 2 (Masters in Chemistry Education – Course Work – SLQF 9)
Chemistry Education Project
This programme is offered in two parts. The theory modules and the practical modules of Part 1 are conducted on Saturdays (8 a.m. to 5 p.m.) and some Sundays (8 a.m. to 12 noon). The duration of Part 1 is 12 – 18 months. Students who have achieved the minimum requirements in Part 1 will be allowed to proceed to Part 2. Part 2 consists of a full-time research project of 6 months duration. The duration for part-time students is longer, depending on the time they devote for research.
Students will be assessed both on continuous basis as well as by periodical tests mainly based on the laboratory work carried out during the course. There will be a written examination for theory modules at the end of each semester. Candidates will be allowed to proceed to Part 2 when he/she obtained a minimum GPA stipulated by the Faculty.
The report submitted by the candidate at the end of the project will be evaluated and an oral examination will be held.
Registration fee- Rs. 2,500/=
Library fee – Rs.2,000/=
Library deposit (refundable) – Rs. 5,000/= (Rs. 2,500/= per card)
Rs. 170,000 to be paid in two instalments. The first instalment of Rs. 100,000/= should be paid at the beginning of the course. Second instalment Rs. 70,000/=
Rs. 30,000/= payable at the commencement of the Chemistry Education Project
Rs. 10,000 payable on application for Part ‘1’ examination.
*** Please note that fees paid are not refundable and subject to revision from time to time.
Application forms and course brochure can be either downloaded from the University of Colombo, Department of Chemistry website (http://science.cmb.ac.lk/chemistry/) or by visiting or by sending a self-addressed stamped envelope to Assistant Registrar, Academic and Publications Branch, University of Colombo, 94, Cumaratunga Munidasa Mawatha, Colombo 03.
A duly completed application form together with a paying-in-voucher for Rs. 500/- paid to the credit of the University of Colombo, with the application fee code (as the A/C No: please see below) at the Thimbirigasyaya Branch of the People’s Bank (payment can be made at any branch) should be sent to the Assistant Registrar, Academic and Publications Branch, University of Colombo, 94, Cumaratunga Munidasa Mawatha, Colombo 03 under registered cover on or before 15th August 2018.
Application fee code (A/C No): 314023400005
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION: