Dr. M. D. T. Attygalle
Senior Lecturer (Grade I)
Department of Statistics
University of Colombo,
Tel: +94 (0)11 2590111
Fax: +94 (0)11 2590111
- PhD in statistics, Lancaster University, UK. 2006
- MSc in Statistics, Warwick University, UK. 1996
- Diploma in Applied Statistics, University of Colombo. 1992.
- BSc., 1st Class (Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Pure Mathematics), University of Colombo. 1987
- Statistical modelling
- Model diagnostics
- Data Visualization
- Sports Statistics
- IS1001 – Basic Statistics in Business
- IS1004 – Introduction to Statistical Modeling
- ST3006 – Regression Analysis
- ST3072 – Applied Regression Analysis
- IS 3002 – Statistics in Practice
Research and Professional Experience
- Pilot Citizen Report Card in Collaboration with The Asia Foundation and SPARC – Core Researcher (2011/2012)
- SriLankan customer satisfaction survey- Project Leader – 2010
- Local Consultant – Tourism project under TCP 2008
- PANDORA project – Sub project I (Team member) 2006-2007
- HRAC project of The Asia Foundation (Local Consultant – Team Leader)
- Attygalle MDT, Francis B. Using model coverage to improve the forward search algorithm for outlier detection in regression model: Statistics and Computing, 2008.
- Attygalle MDT, Francis B, Scrucca L. Model coverage, forward searching and multiple outlier detection: Proceedings of the 17th IWSM conference; 2002 July 8-12; Chania ,Greece.
- Attygalle MDT, Francis B. Model coverage – an improvement to the forward search algorithm: Proceedings of the International Sri Lankan Statistical Conference: Visions of futuristic Statistical Methodologies; 2004 December 28 – 30.
- Samaranayake VK, Gamage G, Jayasinghe U, Attygalle MDT, Wimalaratne SP. Distant Learning Initiatives in Sri Lanka with specific reference to ICT based learning issues and strategies: Proceedings of the IITC conference; 2006.
- Jayasundara BMWUCB, Wickramasuriya KT, Arunatilake SMKD, Attygalle MDT, Jayasinghe A. Health Hazards Among Sri Lankan IT Professionals: Proceedings of the e-Asia International IT conference; 2009; Sri Lanka.
- Deshani KAD, Liyanage L, Attygalle MDT, and Karunaratne A. (2013) “A study of the Dynamic Behaviour of Daliy Load Curve for Short Term Predictions”, In Proceedings of ISNGI 2013 – International Symposium for Next Generation Infrastructure, Wollongong, Australia, September 2013 (abstract only)
- Dilini WMN, Liyanage L, Attygalle MDT, Nandalal, K.D.W., (2013) “Effective Water /management in the Mahaweli Reservoir System; Analyzing the inflow of the upmost reservoir”. “, In Proceedings of ISNGI 2013 – International Symposium for Next Generation Infrastructure, Wollongong, Australia, September 2013 (abstract only)
- Co-author, A Statistics book titled, ‘Moolike Sankyanaya (Basic Statistics)’ for the General Certificate Examination (Advanced level) and University first year students, 1996.
- Sangay Jamtsho, Sonam Rinchen, Nazir A Sangi, Sheeraz Ahmed, Gihan N Wikramanayake, P Wimalaratne, K P Hewagamage, Dilhari Attygalle (2009) Accessibility, Acceptance and Effects of Distance Education in South Asia 2 5-25 Virtual University of Pakistan, 2009
- Sangay Jamtsho, Sonam Rinchen, Nazir A Sangi, Sheeraz Ahmed, Gihan N Wikramanayake, P Wimalaratne, K P Hewagamage, DilhariI Attygalle(2010) DISTANCE EDUCATION TECHNOLOGIES IN ASIA II: ACCESSIBILITY, ACCEPTANCE AND EFFECTS OF DISTANCE EDUCATION IN SOUTH ASIA Edited by:Jon Baggaley and Tian Belawati. 33-56 SAGE India isbn:9788132105619
- Member of SLASS
- Member of the Institute of Applied Statistics of Sri Lanka.
Postgraduate Supervision (on going):
- W.M.L. Dilini (registration in 2012) Forecasting the HydroelectricGenerationCapacity of Cascaded Reservoir System in MahaweliRiver Basins: A Statistical Approach based upon the Variations in Reservoir Water Levels(Co-supervision)
- K.A.D. Deshani (registration in 2012) Data-Driven Demand-Response Optimization to Improve Sustainable Electricity Consumption in Sri Lanka (Co-supervision)
Research and Consultancy
Special Degree Undergraduate Level & MSc Projects Have supervised (and co-supervised) around 15 research projects during the past 5 years, and one of these student projects had won the best project award at the convocation.
Dr (Ms) MDT Attygalle was awarded a Collaborative Research Grant from the University of Colombo in 2011 worth Rs. 2,899,500.00 for the research project titled ‘Economical Strategy for the Future Power Generation Procedure in Sri Lanka’ in which she has been working as the Principal Investigator in the year 2013 as well. This project is conducted in collaboration with Dr Liwan Liyanage, Senior Lecturer in Mathematics, University of Western Sydney.
- Coordinator – MSc in Applied Statistics 2008, 2009
- Coordinator / Joint special degree programs of the faculty and the UCSC 2007-2010
- Involved in Curriculum design for undergraduates
- Student Counsellor of the Faculty of Science 2005-2008
- Senior Treasure, ‘Stat Circle’, University of Colombo (2004-2008)
- Chairperson, Science faculty Library committee
- Obtained the certificate in Teaching in Higher Education (CTHE) conducted by the Staff Development Centre of the University of Colombo, 1995
- Obtained the SEDA teaching qualification from UK, 1995