The Department of Mathematics jointly with the Sri Lankan Olympiad Mathematics Foundation, a non- profit organization dedicated to popularizing mathematics at school level, conducts two highly competitive Mathematics competitions namely the Sri Lanka Mathematics Competition (SLMC) and the Sri Lanka Mathematics Challenge Competition (SLMCC) annually. The Sri Lankan team to the International Mathematics Olympiad (IMO) is selected based on the performance of students at these two competitions.
Further, the Department offers a variety of services to community. Namely, it offers,
- mathematics teacher training programs.
- training programs related to financial modeling
- short courses, workshops and seminars on financial valuation and actuarial valuation
- short courses, workshops and seminars on mathematical modeling
- assistance to develop mathematical models.