The Department of Physics has actively engaged in research programs since 1940. The research activities accelerated during the last two decades with the inception of the international science programs of the Upsala University,Sweden. Several items of research equipment were purchased through their generous grants, and scientists were trained under its collaborative link programs. More recently, the Japanese government under the Japanese Grant Aid program to upgrade scientific education in the faculty of science, donated a large number of sophisticated equipment to the department. The department’s research activities are backed up by a fully equipped mechanical workshop with a well trained staff. In addition to the use of these facilities for undergraduate and postgraduate teaching, the department is in a position to render scientific services to out side individual / organizations. The purpose of this program is not in any way profit oriented, but to acquire some financial support, whilst simultaneously serving and assisting other institutions. The funds receive will be utilized mainly for maintenance and repair of the expensive instrumentation.
Services in Lightning and Atmospheric Physics
Consultancy Service in Lightning Protection
- Investigations are undertaken to establish the cause of damage made by lightning.
- Measurements are made on site to asses the required levels of protection.
- Protection of buildings and structures from lightning direct hits.
- Installation lightning arresters.
- Protection of delicate electronic instrumentation from transients due to lightning electromagnetic pulses (LEMP).
- Lightning induced over voltages in power and telecommunication networks.
Consultancy Service in Electrostatics
Consultancy Services are backed by comprehensive research and development whenever necessary. Routine tests, for example power resistivity, charge ability, minimum ignition energy can be performed.
At present we are capable of dealing with following areas
- Dust flammability assessment
- Fire and explosion due to electrostatic discharges
- Anti static flooring assessment (In Electronic and Semiconductor Industry)
- Eliminating of static charges on insulators (In Plastic Industry)
Consultancy Service in Atmospheric Physics and Atmospheric Electricity
Industrial problems associated with humidity, temperature, rainfall, atmospheric pressure, leakage currents due to ions in the atmosphere, space charge density, high electric fields corona discharge and many more can be dealt with.
Services in Nuclear Physics
A state of art high pure Germanium Gamma ray detector with very high resolution is available for Radioactive measurements of a given sample and identification radioactive elements present in a given sample and their relative abundances. (Resolution 2.0 KeV ( FWHM) at 1.33 Mev. Relative efficiency 15%, Peak/Compton 40:1)
Mechanical Workshop Facilities
The department’s Mechanical workshop undertakes the construction of items out of wood, plastic, glass and metal. Modern equipment are available for such work with qualified personnel supervised by a workshop engineer.The following workshop facilities are also available. Precise machine works using.
- Center lathe machine
- Milling machine
- Shaping machine
- Micro lathe machine
- Transformer winding and coils winding
- Glass blowing
- Repairs, modifications and construction of various glass apparatus